Sunday, January 31, 2010

Apple's iPad, a farce or the future?



Maybe it was a busy news week around the world but really, when isn’t it? Is it just me? Or has Apple’s new iPad launched without the typical “Apple” media chaos? While complete with an unveiling by CEO Steve Jobs, I was surprised how little those around me, those in my sphere of influence, were affected.


While dubbed by some to be an “iPod jumbo”, the iPad was created to fill a niche between ‘netbooks’ and the iPhone. The 9.7 inch LCD screen links newspapers, magazines, video producers, game developers and book publishers together into a realm where technology and liberal arts converge. The iPad also opens up fresh possibilities on how content can be created, distributed and monetized. Check out an in-depth review of the iPad.

While it is seen as a small step for technology, it is a giant leap for Apple’s multimedia domination; where the hardware is the hook. For a look at Apple's smarts read this.

Here's a hilarious video from CollegeHumor.com


I did my research. The iPad has some pretty amazing features, and for about US$500-750 depending on the model, makes for a pretty handsome piece of gadgetry. But, always the buts… The iPad has been subject to much criticism, from tech aficionados and comedians alike.


Tech journalists the world over have noticed that there were some missing would-be features promised when the iPad was in development. To name a few:

• No jaw-droppingly new user interface
• No built-in camera
• No Flash support
• No user-replaceable battery
• No iPhone software 4.0 announcement

Here’s the link to the full article

Another of the top 4 whiffs

While it is clear that Apple has taken another step to secure the multimedia/computer/smartphone market, the iPad has some tough consumers to win over. I’ll reserve my jokes and qualms until I have one of those suckers in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment