Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You've been tagged! A How-to for tags



OH NO! A panic washes over as you ponder the most dreaded of social media scenarios. Where have I been? Who was I with? Who's been talking about me?! Seems to me, it's always the most unflattering or inappropriate picture right? For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, today's lesson is on tags!

Tags or tagging is prevalent throughout the internet. What is a
tag? Well, a tag is essentially a key word or term that can be used with a blog, tweet, website or image.

How are tags used? Tagging helps describe any aforementioned item and allows it to be found through a search, grouping other items containing similar tags.

Our class assignment in social and digital media was to scoure the depths of the world wide internets, in search of this: the best how-to for tags. A picture is worth a thousand words and this post really exemplifies the simplistic nature of tags and tagging. At the bottom of this post you'll notice my tags or "labels" pertaining to keywords or terms i.e. tags, tagging, and how-to.


A quick example.

Say you see a blog post or a photo that has been tagged "Jimmy". By clicking that tag, or searching for the tag "Jimmy", you'll open up all other similarly tagged items, i.e. blog posts, photos, etc.


If that didn't do the trick, here are some others that I stumbled upon worth mentioning.

- how to effectively use tags in your blog (click here)
- how to use tags (click here)
- and ... for the hasty and visually inclined,




Although I was familiar with tags, this how-to experience gave me an opportunity to expand my knowledge and showcase network learning. Tags can be utilized to introduce new people, discover new interests, and connect with other people through a multitude of networks. As it turns out, the best how-to for tags was a blog post found on the ning.com network. I'm IN that network and can now say... "I've utilized my networks as a learning asset." When you think tags, think connecting.

Kick-ass! If you'd like to know more about tags, check out what Rachael and Katy, my co-conspirators have to say!

Wanna know more about Twitte
r? Or how to embed a video?
Click here!
to see
a collection of the best online how-to's in the universe.


Connect with the Humber Public Relations 2010 class!


I'll see you soon.

3 comments:

  1. well done! how professional looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the HT and link to my blog. Much obliged.

    Tags are a great way to keep organized, help your visitor's find their way around and they can be useful in your SEO if you choose your tags closely to relevant keywords :o)

    Wishing you the best for your new blog!

    I see on your facebook profile that you went to UofT, eh? Way cool.

    Andy's Goode Life (main blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post Jaymes! like the home alone picture (and i see you went with the fish...)

    ReplyDelete